The Planning Division is responsible for three main functions.
- Application, review, issuance, and inspection of land use, environmental, critical area, and subdivision permits
- Administration of zoning, subdivision, shoreline, environmental, and critical area codes
- A land use permit is required prior to issuance of a building permit for new commercial, office, civic, public, and multi-family developments, as well as additions to existing buildings and improvements made in critical areas
- Some applications require a public notice that is published in the Federal Way Mirror, posted on-site at the Federal Way libraries and City Hall, and in some cases, mailed to surrounding property owners
- Land Use Permits - Application and informational handouts for Land Use permits including site plan review, environmental review, critical areas review, subdivisions, shoreline permits, etc.
- Citizen’s Guide to the Hearing Examiner Process
Long Range Planning
- Maintains and processes amendments to the Federal Way Comprehensive Plan and Federal Way Zoning Map
- Processes amendments to the Federal Way Revised Code (FWRC), which contains the city’s zoning, subdivision, shoreline, environmental, and critical areas requirements
- Annexations as proposed (none pending currently)