The Public Works Street Systems Division responsibilities include:
- Capital improvement projects: Administer the planning, design and construction of major and minor capital improvement projects.
- Street Maintenance: Maintain the street infrastructure including pavement and sidewalk repairs, street sweeping, landscape strip and shoulder vegetation control, street tree planting, litter control, snow and ice removal and other miscellaneous services (Note: Many of these services are performed using private contractors)
- Right of way permit issuance and construction inspections for any work performed by residents, utilities and contractors within the public rights of way (must be licensed and bonded)
- Street vacations of unused rights of way
- Assisting the Traffic Division in developing long-range goals and comprehensive planning related to capital improvement projects
The Street Division maintains and repairs streets and sidewalks in the right of way. If you notice any of the following maintenance / repair issues, please report your concern to the Public Works Department. If your concern needs prompt attention, please call the Public Works Department at 253.835.2700, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm or the after-hours call-out service at 800.400.0749 on the evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Potholes (response is usually within 24 hours)
- Hazardous road conditions
- Downed or damaged stop or yield signs
- Fallen trees in the right of way
- Right of way vegetation control
- Litter control issues
- Sidewalk concerns