Water Fitness Instructor
Employment Status: Temporary, Part-Time
Salary Range: $12.00 - $14.00/Hour DOE
Opens: January 3, 2017
Closes: When Filled
Note: This is a temporary, part-time position with variable hours and no benefits.
This is a temporary employee position that reports to the Aquatics Coordinator. Primary duties include: teaching two formats of Water Fitness classes, Low Impact and Deep Water Aerobics. Instructors may be required to work special events, evenings, weekends. Individuals must be mature, trustworthy and able to work independently. The employee is subject to an annual evaluation and must be able to accept constructive feedback. A background check is a condition of employment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Plan and conduct water fitness classes in a safe, friendly and professional manner. Communicate clearly and effectively with students of all ages and abilities. Provide motivational and corrective feedback to participants. Educate participants in developing safe and successful fitness habits. Arrive and be ready to work on time. Be physically, mentally and emotionally ready to teach. Report any unsafe situations or conditions to supervisor. Report any damage to the facility or equipment, incidents and injuries using appropriate forms in an accurate and timely manner. Communicate any pertinent concerns or problems regarding courses or students to supervisor. Respond to emergency situations and be able to implement appropriate Emergency Action Plans. Adhere to blood borne pathogen training and safety standards. Attend scheduled staff trainings. Provide quality customer service for the patrons and staff. Complete other duties as assigned.
- Perform strenuous activity.
- Perform duties involving physical labor, such as bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, pushing, twisting and swimming.
- Maintain 20/40 vision; use of corrective lens is acceptable.
- Assist during emergency situations.
- Lift 50 pounds.
- Must possess and maintain American Red Cross CPR-For the Professional Rescuer and Community First Aid.
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding is preferred
- AEA, AFPA or equivalent fitness instructor certification is preferred
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- At least 1 year of experience conducting water fitness courses is required
- Work effectively and communicate with the public and co-workers.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Possess knowledge of aquatic fitness programs and safety procedures.
Note: All certifications must be current at the time of application.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Ave. South, Federal Way, or online at the above website or by calling 253-835-2530. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.832.
The City of Federal Way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.