EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Temporary, Part-Time
SALARY RANGE: $14.00 - $16.00/hour
OPENS: February 17, 2017
CLOSES: Open Until Filled
Note: This is a temporary, part-time position working six to ten hours per week with no benefits. Classes are held Monday through Friday from 9am-12pm and Monday through Thursday from 1pm-4pm. We have an immediate opening for a substitute. This position would start in September to June 2018; we follow the Federal Way Public School District calendar.
Under the direction of the Community Recreation Coordinator, the preschool instructor is responsible for planning, teaching, and evaluating classes at the Federal Way Community Center. The preschool instructor will plan, implement and evaluate classes for up to 10 children between the ages of 2 to 5 years of age.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plan and teach educational preschool classes including songs, crafts, games and projects.
- Instruct in a group setting where abilities will vary.
- Communicate clearly with children and adults.
- Develop written plans and supply lists for classes.
- Evaluate classes for effectiveness and make changes as needed or requested.
- Maintain supplies and equipment required for class.
- Ensure a safe, constructive teaching environment.
- Remain current in training and education required to effectively teach class in area of expertise.
- Interact with the public in a polite, understanding and tactful manner.
- Play an active role in the future growth of the preschool education program.
- Maintain an environment of teamwork with other teachers.
- Attend required staff training and other meetings.
- Ability to take initiative, make sound decisions, and trouble shoot problematic situations in an independent manner.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to two (2) years of college level course work in education or comparable experience working with children. Minimum one (1) year of experience teaching preschool classes.
LICENSE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Valid Washington State driver’s license
- Current First Aid, Child CPR and Adult CPR cards required.
- Responsible for own transportation to and from various job sites.
- Ability to successfully pass a background check.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, online at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530.
The City of Federal way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.