Lifeguard - Federal Way Community Center
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Temporary, Part-Time
SALARY RANGE: $11.00 - $13.00/hour
OPENS: January 3, 2017
CLOSES: No Closing Date; This is an ongoing recruitment
Note: This is a temporary, part-time position with variable hours and no benefits.
BASIC FUNCTION: This is a temporary employee position reporting to the Aquatics Coordinator. Lifeguards are responsible for the supervision and safety of the public at an aquatic facility. Primary duties include; educating the public to promote habits and attitudes that lead to safe recreation, enforcing safety rules, and responding to emergencies in an appropriate manner.
Individuals must be able to work as part of an overall staff team and independently, without direct supervision. Employees need to be responsible, trustworthy, and able to deal appropriately with the public in difficult situations. Lifeguards may be required to work special events, evenings, weekends, and split shifts at any City of Federal Way Recreation locations. The employee is subject to an annual written evaluation and must be able to accept constructive feedback.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for providing for the patrons safety by monitoring patron behaviors and enforcing all facility rules and regulations as well as setting an example of safe water habits.
- Must attend & participate fully in all in-service training programs.
- Keep training records up to date.
- Responsible for all personal equipment issued, and for the care and maintenance of all facility equipment.
- When necessary, administer first aid.
- Adhere to all Bloodborne Pathogen policies and procedures.
- Know and carry out assigned responsibilities in the event of an emergency.
- Effectively work with the other staff members as a team.
- Complete any assignments issued by the supervisor.
- Record daily, while on duty, all requested information on individual time sheet.
- Wear designated uniform.
- Use corrective lenses, if needed, to maintain 20/40 vision while on duty.
- Perform light facility janitorial maintenance as required.
- Perform facility staging for various programmed activities.
- Provide quality customer service to patrons and staff.
- Perform required strenuous activity.
- Perform duties involving physical labor, such as bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, pushing, twisting, swimming, and surface diving to a maximum depth of 12.5 feet.
- Maintain 20/40 vision; use of corrective lens is acceptable.
- Assist during emergency situations.
- Lift 50 pounds.
- Must possess Current American Red Cross Certifications in Lifeguard Training, CPR-FPR, Community First Aid
- Current Northwest Lifeguard Preparation Course Certificate
- Must be at least 15 years of age
- Work effectively and have the ability to communicate effectively with the public and co-workers
- Follow written and oral instructions
- Possess knowledge of aquatic programs and safety procedures
- Obtain American Red Cross Water Park Lifeguard Module before first day scheduled work
Note: All certifications must be current at the time of application.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Ave South, Federal Way, or online at the above website or by calling 253-835-2530. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.832.
The City of Federal Way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.