Inclusive Recreation Assistant (Special Olympics Swimming Coach)
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Temporary, Part-time
SALARY RANGE: $11.00 - $13.00/hour DOE
OPENS: January 3, 2017
CLOSES: Open Until Filled
NOTE: This is a part-time seasonal position, approximately 1.5 hours per week with the opportunity for additional hours at other Recreational Inclusive activities and has no benefits. The program runs February 26th until June 3rd.
- Conduct swimming at Federal Way Community Center Pool Sundays from 3:45–5:15 pm. (Note: subject to change with notice)
- Maintain professional image and positive attitude under stressful conditions.
- Act as role model; ensure the safety of athletes; assist athletes with swimming.
- As a representative of the Parks Department, a uniform will be provided and must be worn during working hours.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Arrive 15 minutes before start of program.
- Stay 15 minutes after the end of program.
- Maintain safety at the site.
- Render first aid in case of minor injury.
- Maintain contact with coordinator.
- Assist athletes with swimming techniques.
- Prepare swimming times for Special Olympics Washington registration.
- Attend staff training and staff meetings.
- Attend regional swimming tournament and state tournament if necessary.
- Perform related duties as directed and/or required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Current First Aid Card and C.P.R. card required.
- Knowledge of swimming strokes & techniques required.
- Experience working with special needs individuals preferred but not required.
- Lifeguard experience preferred but not required.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications are available on our website at www.cityoffederalway.com, by calling 253-835-2530, or at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, WA 98003. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.832.
The City of Federal Way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For Telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-11 or 1-800-833-6388/TDD or call 1-800-863-6388/TDD or 1-800-833-6384/Voice.