Inclusive Day Camp Leader
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Seasonal*
SALARY RANGE: $11.00 - $13.00/hour
OPENS: February 3, 2017
CLOSES: Open Until Filled
NOTE: *This is a seasonal position, ranging from 10-40 hours per week with no benefits. Successful applicants should expect an interview sometime between March-May. This is subject to change. If hired, applicant should expect the following: 1) mandatory attendance for training on June 16, 17 and 18; 2) Work on the 4th of July during the City’s Red, White and Blues Festival.
Under the direction of the Day Camp Supervisor, the Community Recreation Coordinator, and the Inclusion Coordinator, the Inclusive Day Camp Leader will help plan, implement and lead daily recreational activities for up to 16 children with developmental and intellectual disabilities, ages 6-18 attending our Inclusive Day Camp. Our Camp will run on the weeks of July 10th through the 14th and August 7th through the 11th. Opportunities to work other weeks of camp may be available. As a representative of the parks department, a uniform will be provided and must be worn during working hours.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plan, lead & teach various activities including, but not limited to: arts, crafts, science, games, sports, theater, & songs for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Supervise and actively participate in group activities and serve as a positive role model for children living with disabilities.
- Monitor behavior of children and implement positive behavior strategies for children with disabilities.
- Work closely with other staff in an enthusiastic, cooperative and supportive manner.
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, parents, and supervisors.
- Assist in implementation of discipline plans with children.
- Maintain safety of children at all times.
- Render first aid in case of injury.
- Assist in the planning and implementing of daily activities.
- Write necessary accident/incident or other reports.
- Attend required staff training and other meetings.
- Maintain professional image and positive attitude at all times.
- Belay children at Rock Wall. (Training is provided for Leaders 18 years and above.)
- Perform other task and duties as assigned by the Day Camp Supervisor and Recreation Coordinator.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Educational background in special education, inclusive recreation, or child development preferred.
- Experience in planning, implementing and supervising recreational and/or educational activities for children (especially those living with disabilities) preferred.
- Current First Aid, Child and Adult CPR cards required.
- Ability to successfully pass a background check.
- Responsiblel for own transportation to and from various job sites..
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, online at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.832.
The City of Federal way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.