Climbing Wall Attendant
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Temporary, Part-Time
SALARY RANGE: $11.00 - $12.00/hour
OPENS: February 24, 2017
CLOSES: Until Filled
Note: This is a temporary, part-time position working up to 17.5 hours per week with no benefits. Hours may vary. Weekend and evening shifts available, starting in September.
Under the direction of the Federal Way Community Center Fitness Athletic Coordinator; the climbing wall attendant will be responsible for new pass holder orientations to the climbing wall, teach and belay for classes ages 3 to adult, provide safety and technique clinics, assist lead attendant with route setting and wall maintenance, and host various revenue producing climbing events.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teach and certify belay technique to encourage pass holders’ independent use of the climbing wall.
- Supervise and assist pass holders during open climb, clinics and parties.
- Rent equipment and verify that outside equipment is safe for use in our facility.
- Play an active role on the future growth of the climbing wall activities.
- Ensure the safety of pass holders by paying special attention to technique, proper form, and equipment wear and tear.
- Maintain an environment of teamwork.
- Promote personal goal attainment for participants.
- Maintain cleanliness of climbing area and equipment.
- Assist lead with route setting and wall maintenance.
- Monitor usage and track climber retention information.
- Must be able to work with children.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience working with children.
- Previous rock climbing experience, indoor or outdoor preferred. Passion for people is a must!
- Knowledge of climbing and belay techniques and climbing gear, knots and belay devices >preferred.
- Ability to take initiative, make sound decisions, and troubleshoot problematic situations in an independent manner.
- Responsible, self-motivated person who will bring new ideas to a brand new program.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license.
- Current First Aid and CPR cards are required.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, online at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.832.
The City of Federal way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.