Beach Lifeguard II - Steel Lake Beach
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Temporary, Seasonal*
SALARY RANGE: $13.50 - $15.50/hour
OPENS: February 17, 2017
CLOSES: Open Until Filled
NOTE: This is a seasonal position with variable hours from approximately June 24th-September 4th with no benefits. All certifications must be current through September 4, 2017.
This is a temporary employee position reporting to the Aquatic Coordinator and the Beach Supervisor. Primary duties include: supervision of beach staff in the absence of the Beach Supervisor, supervision of the public in an outdoor aquatic environment, enforcing the safety rules of the facility to minimize accidents and injuries, responding to any emergency situations, and educating the staff and public on safe recreation aquatic practices. Individual must be mature, trustworthy and able to work independently. The employee is subject to an annual evaluation. A background check is a condition of employment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Ensure safety of patrons using the beach, dock and swimming areas. Prevent accidents and injuries through proper enforcement of City of Federal Way Parks and Recreation rules and policies. Respond to all emergency situations. Work with other City of Federal Way employees to provide sanitary and safe conditions for the public, to including the, cleaning of the beach, restrooms, dock and pavilion areas. Correct or report unsafe conditions to appropriate personnel. Report any facility damage, incidents, or injuries using appropriate forms. Complete required reports accurately, legibly and in a timely manner. Adhere to blood borne pathogen training and protocols. Attend scheduled staff trainings. Wear the designated uniform as stated in the staff manual. Provide exceptional customer service for the patrons and staff. Other duties as assigned.
- respond to emergency situations..
- Maintain 20/40vision; use of corrective lens is acceptable.
- Perform duties involving physical labor such as swimming, repeated surface diving to a depth of 17 feet, bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, pushing and twisting.
- Perform strenuous activity.
- Lift 50 pounds and prepare reports
- Work successfully as a member of a team and communicate effectively with the public and co-workers.
- Assist Aquatic Coordinator an Beach Supervisor in conducting staff training sessions.
LICENSE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess and maintain Northwest Lifeguard Test certification, American Red Cross certifications in: Lifeguard Training, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aird and Preventing Disease Transmission.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess and maintain Northwest Lifeguard Test Certification.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Posses knowledge of aquatic programs and safety procedures.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, online at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.832.
The City of Federal way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.