Community & Economic Development
Sign Requirement Information
Administrative Assistant II
33325 8th Ave. S.
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Please watch this PowerPoint
regarding requirements for political, real estate, temporary advertising, and civic event signs.
The Department of Community and Economic Development provides the following services:
- Building Division - Administers and enforces building codes for construction, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and signs, including plan review and inspection.
- Code Enforcement - Enforces land use and building code provisions to abate illegal and/or nuisance conditions throughout the City.
- Economic Development - Promotes economic growth and development in the City through city center and neighborhood redevelopment, business attraction/retention, and tourism promotion. Administers the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program, which allocates federal grants to develop viable communities and assistance to commercial businesses.
- Passports - Provides information and accepts passport applications at the Receptionist desk on the second floor of City Hall.
- Permit Center - The Permit Center offers information and assistance with all types of construction and land development permits in Federal Way. Staff is available to answer questions about property, zoning, permits, signs, and code requirements, and to help you determine which permits and processes are needed for a proposed project.
- Planning Division - Administers and enforces land use, subdivision, and environmental codes and policies. In addition, the division performs long-range planning and policy work, including comprehensive plan updates and amendments, code revisions, and annexations, as well as subarea and/or special planning projects.
- Provides technical and administrative support for the Planning Commission and Lodging Tax Advisory Committee