Tourism Enhancement Grant (TEG)
The City of Federal Way adopted a 1% lodging tax in 1999 for the purpose of promoting and enhancing Federal Way as a destination city emphasizing tourism and recreational activities that promote an increase in overnight stays. One element of the program is a competitive Tourism Enhancement Grant (TEG) to support sports, cultural, arts, community events, and nonevent programs that will occur in the Federal Way area.
In order to be considered for the TEG, an event or sponsoring organization must meet the following conditions:
- Deadline: October 15, 2016 for events from January 2017 through June 2017.
- Deadline: March 15, 2017 for events from July 2017 through December 2017.
- Eligible Activities: Amateur sporting, arts/cultural events, membership meetings, trainings, exhibitions and conferences, or other events that will bring participants, spectators, attendees, and other visitors to Federal Way. In addition, nonevent programs that improve/increase tourism activities are eligible. Events must NOT have taken place prior to City Council’s final award approval for the particular funding cycle.
- A large portion of spectators, participants for an event must come from 50 miles away to be considered a tourist for funding this grant.
- Eligible Costs: The grant shall be used solely for securing, marketing, and producing eligible activities (events and nonevent programs). Eligible costs include, but are not limited to: advertising and promotional expenses; purchase and/or rental of equipment and materials required for event production; talent or collateral fees; planning, production, and event-staffing costs; etc. This amount will not be used for tournament entry fees, team travel, uniforms, give away items, permanently held equipment, staff salaries, facility upgrades, or capital campaigns. In addition, this fund will not be used to cover any regular operating expenses of the organization that otherwise would occur regardless of the specific event or nonevent program.
- Post Event/Nonevent Program Report and Invoice: After the event, submission of a Post Event/ Nonevent Program Report and Invoice that documents financial and participation data compared with projections in the grant application is required. The report must describe the actual number of people traveling for business or pleasure on a trip:
- And staying at least one night in paid accommodations; and/or
- Traveling at least 50 miles from their place of residence or business; and/or
- Traveling from another country or state.
Please contact us with questions 253-835-2412